Monday, August 2, 2010

"Hebrew"

In my reading today I came across the passage that says, "I tell you the truth, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes." (Matthew 10:23)
I hate verses like this that get me all confused. I mean obviously the disciples aren't here now (and though the two witnesses {which could include John} will be at the end, that's clearly not meant).  So even though my mind goes immediately to the second coming, that doesn't quite fit.  I read a few commentaries with various ideas. One of which was about the coming 'wrath' of the Son of Man, when Israel was destroyed in 70 AD.  That argument made sense, and I could go for that.  There was another that pulled up Luke 21 and paralleled the two passages. It spoke of a double prophecy; both the destruction in 70 AD as well as the Tribulation period.
You know I like double prophecies, so I liked that one too.  The rest weren't worth mentioning.


Well, later I was doing my 'other' reading ("Breaking the Jewish Code") and I found this: 
"The name Hebrew originated out of Shem's great grandson's name Eber. It comes from the verb 'abar''pass through' or 'region beyond'.  Abraham was the first Hebrew, because he passed over from his native land to the promised land.  The Abrahamic covenant was sealed when God passed through the sacrifices, and in Egypt God passed over the Israelite homes that were protected by the lamb's blood.  Joshua and Israel passed over the Jordan, possessing their inheritance..." etc. meaning to
The phrase "passing through" hit my spirit from my earlier reading in Matthew (even though it says "going through"), Then I noticed that I was reading a page in the book that I had read months ago. I had opened to my husband's bookmark... not mine, which is literally 140 pages ahead.  It had been so long since I picked up the book, I had forgotten what I read. 
But it was clear to me that God wanted me to read that part again. As I said, my spirit leapt at the similarity between "going through" and "passing through". 
I lost my "e-sword" software when my husband upgraded my computer, and I don't feel like uploading it right now, but I bet that the root word of both phrases are related, if not the same.


"I tell you the truth, you will not finish {being} Hebrew {in} the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes."


Now I'm not saying my new interpretation is the end all be all. But I like it.


And yes, I know, I supposed to be blogging about Zechariah now... I've slacked on that... But I'm sure you'll allow me this break. :)

0 comments: